Now that the state fair is over Iowa’s school children can get back to school. They will be joining other kids across the country most of whom have long since returned to school.
August is supposed to be a quiet month especially in politics. With Dear Leader on the scene everyday seems to be another day of screaming headlines of some major offense against the constitution. Our adult kids ask us “What’s going to happen?” All I can tell them is that I have no idea. We’ve never seen anything like this before. Once upon a time we had 3 co-equal branches of government that used to watch each other and not let things go off the rails.
Now we seem to have one lump called the federal government with all sights set on one goal. We’ve never been here before. Sure am glad I don’t teach government right now.
Once more – Oy Vey!
- A great civil rights figure who just happened to be the Queen of Soul died Thursday. Who was she?
- In a humorous moment what ultra right leader is seen in a twitter video being told by his Dad to get off the phone because he lives with his parents?
- Primaries this week provided some surprises last week. The Democratic nominee for governor in what state is a transgendered person?
- One of the other dominant story of the week was Omarosa Manigault-Newman. What is the name of her forthcoming book?
- In a tape released by the aforementioned Omarosa has her being offered a job for $180,000/year by what campaign operative for Dear Leader?
- In a historical note, on this date in 1839 what process was made public by Louis Daguerre?
- Back to Omarosa – who called her a “dog” this week?
- What state took the extraordinary move of impeaching all members of its Supreme Court this week?
- What state carried out an execution this week using the opioid fentanyl, which is one of the leading causes of the current opioid crisis?
- Dear Leader removed security clearance for what former CIA head in an apparent retaliation for comments the former director made?
- Dear Leader also cancelled his own much anticipated (by him) military parade due to what?
- What date was this parade supposed to happen on?
- VP Mike Pence was in Iowa campaigning for what endangered Republican congressman Wednesday?
- Also in Tuesday’s primaries what former Minnesota governor and presidential candidate met with a sound defeat in the Republican primary?
- In a heavy rainstorm in Europe a bridge in what city collapsed killing 39 people?
- In Florida, Republican candidate Melissa Howard dropped out after admitting she faked what?
- In California, what company was order to pay $289 million in a case alleging their weed killing product caused cancer in a groundskeeper?
- The international merger of what two agricultural giants began Friday?
- The DOJ filed suit against the former business partner of what presidential progeny for fraud and tax evasion?
- What potential Democratic candidate for president unveiled a bold proposal to reshape American capitalism?
John Fugelsang “You can’t stand up for Main Street when you’re on all 4’s for Wall Street.”
- Aretha Franklin
- Jason Kessler who organized the Charlottesville disaster
- Eric Trump’s wife Lara who is on the 2020 campaign staff
- The photographic process
- Dear Leader
- West Virginia – the move was orchestrated by the Republican legislature to be timed so that replacements could not be voted on in the general election but would have to be picked by the Republican governor
- John Brennan
- The cost which may be over $100 million
- November 10
- David Young
- Tim Pawlenty (I certainly hope that is the last we hear of him)
- Her college degree from Miami U. Of Ohio
- Monsanto – there are some 5000 similar cases in court
- Bayer and Monsanto – the Monsanto name will slowly disappear
- Elizabeth Warren
WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—The Pentagon has turned down Donald J. Trump’s request for a grand military parade in Washington, D.C., citing a sudden outbreak of bone spurs that would prevent men and women in uniform from participating.
Harland Dorrinson, a Pentagon spokesman, said that, within an hour of Trump’s request, more than a hundred thousand military personnel complained that they were suffering from acute cases of bone spurs that would make marching in such a parade a painful ordeal.