Funny thing last Thursday. Steve King grabbed that Des Moines Register soapbox at the Iowa State Fair to spread a little bit of his unvarnished hate for people not white. King made this statement Thursday:
“On the immigration issue, I don’t have any qualms with Donald Trump’s position on immigration,” King told the crowd of about 80 people. “The most effective way we can do that is to build a wall on the southern border. I’d add to that: first build a fence near the border, then go up about 100 feet, build a wall, then go another 100 feet, build another fence. Then you have two no-man lands there that you can enforce easily within and patrol and put the sensors on there.”
If I recall that is the basic configuration that the Soviets eventually ended up with for the Berlin Wall, one of the great symbols of hate and fear ever foisted on Mankind. Good job, Congressman, learn from the best. And as a bonus, the Soviets were very white. Oh and by the way, Steve, how about arresting those employers who enticed folks to come to the US with jobs meant to bust unions and lower wages?
Can we keep Trump out of the quiz this week?
1) Thursday the Dow Jones Industrial, Nasdaq and S&P 500 all did what on the same day?
2) Evan McMullin had 15 minutes of fame last Monday. Do you know why?
3) Due to protests and lack of sales Monsanto will tear down a huge GMO seed corn plant in what South American country?
4) A small controversy erupted as the Iowa state fair opened concerning the ability to carry what into the fairgrounds?
5) 71 years ago today, Americans celebrated into the night as what was announced?
6) 81 years ago today, older Americans got some great news as President Roosevelt signed what into law?
7) Hillary Clinton once again reiterated her opposition to what trade pact in a speech in Detroit?
8) 50 Republican security officials signed a letter warning that who would put the country “at risk”?
9) Which highly regarded Republican senator joined the growing list of Republicans who have publicly stated they would not vote for Trump?
10) Salaries and bonuses for what board that controls Iowa’s institutions of higher learning came into question last week because they were so high?
11) What major airline experienced computer problems that resulted in thousands being stranded at airports last week?
12) After cutting state money for mosquito control, what governor is pleading with the federal government for money for mosquito control as the zika virus invades his state?
13) Tim Tebow bombed out in football, but is trying to bring his famous te-bow to what other major league sport?
14) The “scary” statue of what late comedian was replaced with a more normal statue in her hometown of Celoron, NY?
15) August 19 is 70th birthday for what left-handed, former democratic president?
16) What phrase used by Republicans did Trump employ to make a veiled threat on Hillary Clinton Monday?
17) In winning his 13th gold medal Michael Phelps broke the record for the most individual Olympic gold held by what ancient?
18) The DEA refused to reclassify what substance, thus ruling out its use as medicine or allowing its study as a medicine?
19) A 23rd lien has been filed against what Trump golf resort in Florida for non-payment for work done?
20) Who founded ISIS with an assist from who according to Donald Trump?
The Perseid meteor shower continues this week at a slower pace. Best time to catch it is very early morning.
1) closed with record highs. Thanks, Obama!
2) he has been picked to be the establishment Republicans alternative to Donald Trump
5) Victory over Japan (VJ day)
6) the Social Security act
7) the Trans Pacific Partnership
8) Donald Trump
9) Susan Collins of Maine
10) the Iowa Board of Regents
12) Governor Rick Scott of Florida
13) baseball – I can hardly wait to see the te-bow again
14) Lucille Ball
15) Bill Clinton. How many hints do you need?
16) “second amendment solutions”
17) Leonidas of Rhodes who won his last medal in 152 BCE
19) Doral National Golf Course. Remember the PGA will no longer schedule events there either due to remarks Trump has made
20) Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton assisting. Amazing for a guy who is always on vacation
Back to school draws near, children!