* I am feeling in a somewhat snarky mood after spending the best part of the past two weeks trying to get my new health insurance in place. You know if we had single payer and everyone was enrolled then I wouldn’t be going through this. Let me once more thank the insurance industry for putting forth the best arguments to put single payer in and closing the insurance industry.
* Robert Reich: How to deal with low-wage employers (from Facebook) (then stolen from democraticundergroud)
HOW TO DEAL WITH LOW-WAGE EMPLOYERS. I met yesterday with a former executive of a big corporation who had a good idea. Taxpayers spend at least $55 billion a year on benefits (Medicaid, food stamps, etc.) to working people whose employers don’t pay enough to provide them and their families a decent standard of living. So in effect we’re subsidizing these employers – many of which (like Walmart) are large and profitable. His idea was to tax these employers by that amount. It would be easy enough to do since the IRS and the states have the Social Security numbers of all employees who receive these benefits, and can connect them to their employers. Not only would this “lousy-pay” tax be fair to other companies that pay higher wages and don’t get the subsidy. It would also help replenish federal and state budgets. And it would prod these low-paying corporations to raise wages so their employees don’t have to rely on taxpayer-financed benefits.
* I am rather amazed that Chuck Grassley would invoke BIG GOVERNMENT into the propane gas situation. Has he not learned that the invisible hand of the free market will answer the problems? If people die or go broke, then they must not be working hard enough or it was meant to be by God. Chuck is trying real hard to be a Tea Bagger, but just doesn’t seem to quite grasp the concept. Republicans, it is time to primary old Chuck. Heck, they are doing it in Kentucky to old Mitch because he isn’t pure enough.
* OK Canada has gone too far. Yet another direct assault from their weather systems are set to attack the US again this week. We have evidence that they are sending their Alberta Clippers and Canadian Highs across the border to weaken our defenses and soften us up for the eventual invasion. If we can threaten to go to war over some slap in the face 10000 miles away, we cn surely seal our borders against these destructive weather systems. I propose we line our northern border with patriots about 1/4 mile apart from Maine to the Puget Sound to stop these incursions. Republicans, this will be a great chance to serve your country and laugh at those who believe in “climate change.” You get summers off, but winters starting September and last until May.
* My pick for Republican Presidential nominee in 2016
* From bluntandcranky:
“When I was hungry, you cut my food stamps; when thirsty, you allowed my water to be polluted for corporate profit; when I was a stranger, you detained and deported me. When I was naked and vulnerable, without a job or income, you denied me extended unemployment compensation, holding it hostage to a political agenda. When I was ill, you refused to extend Medicaid; when I was in prison, you denied me justice in favor of revenge, and executed me.”
And the righteous replied,”When was it that we saw You hungry, thirsty, a stranger, naked, ill or in prison?” And He said, “Anything you did to one of these–however humble, poor and powerless–you did to me.”
This was submitted to the Cleveland Plain Dealer by Chester E. Ramey, and was published in their LTTE section on 1/19/14. And a better case against the Republicans cannot be made, in this blogger’s humble opinion.
* Ever wonder how Republicans reproduce? Every time I hear yet another Republican denigrating women and making it sound like sex is by far the worst sin in the world, I just kind of drop my jaw and wonder how do they ever screw up the courage to submit themselves to such an evil action. My best guess is that it must involve much prayer and perhaps some self-flagellation. Even thinking about it gives me the willies.
* The Bieb was all over the news this week. Thus such news had to take some time away from other subjects:
* Snark off and thank you for putting up with me.