A reminder from a posting here in blogforiowa Wednesday.
The “Summer of Citizenship”
Begins Saturday, June 3, at the
“Picnic for the People” in Boone
Welcome to the “Summer of Citizenship,” a campaign to encourage and empower Iowans to reach out and listen to each other, get involved, and renew the spirit of citizenship our state and country so urgently need. You can join in, reach out, and speak up with us.
“Summer of Citizenship” begins this Saturday, June 3, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., at the “Picnic for the People” at McHose Park Shelter in Boone, Iowa. This picnic is sponsored by the Boone County Democrats. Suggested contribution for food tickets is $10 per person.
At the “Picnic for the People,” I will provide more details on ways you can participate. Some ideas:
– Join your local County Democratic Party or advocacy organization
– Register people to vote
– Get to know our Democratic candidates
– Organize a study group, educational program, or service project in your community
– Invite people to contribute financially to the party, candidates, or community groups
– Speak up with elected officials and staff in person, by phone call, by mail, and in public
Here’s the bottom line: The answer to our problems – with the President and Congress in Washington, D.C., and the Governor and the Iowa Legislature in Des Moines – is a renewed spirit of citizenship.