The Center for Media and Democracy is a national watchdog and media group that conducts in-depth investigations into corruption and the undue influence of corporations on media and democracy. Our work aids grassroots action to make our world a better place. CMD is reader-supported.
There has never been a more urgent moment for a free and independent media in this country.
We feared it might happen and it has: a ready-made gang of Koch allies are being tapped by Donald Trump for positions of power within our government.
- Trump’s VP pick, Governor Mike Pence, is a big Koch and ALEC booster. David Koch is one of his top funders.
- Trump’s UN pick, Governor Nikki Haley, is an ALEC alum who has attends Koch summits.
- Trump’s CIA pick, Kansas Congressman Mike Pompeo, represents Koch Industries in Congress and was staked by the Kochs in business.
- Trump’s EPA pick, Oklahoma Attorney General Scott Pruitt, has received Koch Industry campaign funds.
- Trump’s Education pick, Betsy De Vos, is a long-time ally of the Kochs. They have worked together through ALEC, the State Policy Network, and more to advance bills to privatize public schools in America.
CMD has been working hard to expose these Koch-ties by talking to news outlets like Politico and by publishing new research on our sites.
We don’t have to tell you that these appointments threaten everything most Americans hold dear: fair wages and labor standards, free and universal public education, civil liberties, our environment, immigrants who help make our nation stronger, and even global security. We must stand together and help reach more friends and allies.
With tremendous appreciation,
Center for Media and Democracy