Some quick memories from raising a couple of very strong women:
* Being rescued by the girl scouts when I got lost in the woods at Indian Creek Nature Center when we took s group up to watch maple syrup being made.
* Taking our girls “grazing” – sampling foods in the grocery stores during Saturday morning shopping.
* The youngest trying to teach the dog to say “thank you” when he got a treat.
* Using the stairs as a summer time sledding hill
* Sledding at the golf course in -10 degrees with a howling wind. Followed by hot cocoa and a pleasant murder on “Murder She Wrote.”
* Junior High Girls Basketball. Nothing – and I do mean nothing – like it in the world.
* Having to be on my toes in science and math to stay ahead of them
* Meeting the boyfriends. Having much sympathy for these guys. I was in your shoes once.
Were you paying attention? It was a busy week!
1) Republicans immediately claimed the Orlando massacre was caused by what?
2) Wow – what historical musical cleaned up at the Tonys last Sunday?
3) Due to the Orlando massacre the LGBT community was at the top of the news all week. What does LGBT stand for?
4) Also in Orlando, what other tragedy happened at Disney World?
5) The Rio Olympics face a lot of problems this year. The newest is the banning of what country from the Games for repeated doping?
6) Chuck Grassley took a stand on allowing terror suspects to buy guns. What side of the issue does Chuck fall on?
7) Donald Trump surprised many with his reaction to the Orlando massacre. What was it?
8) A British MP was murdered after meeting constituents in Birstall. The murder appeared to be tied to what emotional issue that comes to a vote next week?
9) At the UEFA soccer tournament in France, what two countries continually clashed even though they were threatened with disqualification?
10) The name of the nightclub in Orlando where the massacre took place is what?
11) A year ago June 16th, you could have picked up a quick $50 by going to what event?
12) Microsoft acquired what social networking company last week for $26 billion?
13) Margaret Vinci Heldt died last weekend. Her claim to fame was what hairstyle ubiquitous in the 60s? (hint: Marge Simpson)
14) Michu Meszaros also died last week. Meszaros was best known as what short, out of this world tv character?
15) June 16, 1963 the first Russian woman in space. June 18, 1983 the first American woman in space. Can you name these pioneering women?
16) A heavily armed man from Indiana was arrested in California on his way to what event?
17) The Supreme Court handed what US commonwealth a major setback in its bankruptcy problems?
18) A Dutch woman had her drink spiked and was raped in Qatar. How was this handled by Qatar authorities?
19) Which senator took over the chamber and held a filibuster until some concessions were made on gun control legislation?
20) David Jolly ended his senate bid in Florida and will run for his current seat in the House. Jolly’s change was in anticipation of what?
BTW – Iowa needs blood. Give your local blood bank a call and set up an appointment. Our hospitals go through a lot of blood in the summer!
1) Islamist terrorists
2) Hamilton – won 11, one short of the record 12 by “The Producers”
3) Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered
4) a toddler was snatched in a lagoon by an alligator – found dead a couple of days later.
6) he’s in favor of letting them buy guns
7) tweet that many had congratulated him on being right. It was about him!
8) the British exit from the EU. The murderer favored exit.
9) Russia and England
11) Donald Trump’s presidential announcement. He had to pay people to join the audience.
13) the beehive
15) Valentina Tereshkova and Dr. Sally Ride. Tereshkova is still alive if you are curious
16) the Los Angeles Pride Parade
17) Puerto Rico. Now they must depend on congress for help
18) The woman was arrested and convicted of having sex outside of marriage. She was fined, given a suspended sentence and deported. The rapist received 40 lashes.
19) Chris Murphy of Connecticut
20) Marco Rubio’s entry into the race. Rubio had promised he would not run for his seat previously.