Little can match the fun and pageantry of homecoming. From high schools to the big colleges homecoming is always a festive occasion. The color, the crisp weather and with any luck a good game and a victory just makes for an almost magical weekend. It only comes once a year.
All that to say I am back after a short absence and am ready to drop some questions on you!. Sorry to say I need to take another hiatus in
a couple of weeks but only for a short stint.
Were you paying attention?
1) Monday Americans take a holiday for Columbus day. Our friends in Canada also have a holiday Monday. Do you know what they celebrate Monday in Canada?
2) The Supreme Court is back in session every first Monday of October. This year it shocked everyone by not doing what?
3) The symphony orchestra of what city was interrupted by a “Requiem for Michael Brown” by an audience flash mob.
4) The city council in Clear Lake, Iowa rejected a request by a citizen to turn what old municipal property into a home?
5) Western Europe got a touch of Ebola in what country last week?
6) It is Nobel Prize time. American and Japanese scientists shared the prize for perfecting what environmentally friendly technology?
7) Another Nobel Prize, this one for Peace, was won by a Pakistani teenager. No more hints – can you name her?
8) 72 Iowa judges are up for retention vote this election. What year did Iowans remove 3 Supreme Court justices for their votes on marriage equality?
9) 522 years ago Christopher Columbus landed in the Bahamas. Where did he believe he had landed?
10) In yet another surprise in their opening week the Supreme Court issued a decision stopping what in Wisconsin?
11) In order to fatten their owners pocketbooks, Walmart cut what benefit from their part-time workers?
12) Democrats charged this week that contracts awarded in Montgomery County were a conflict of interest when who was a county official there?
13) What well known financial guru was unable to finance a mortgage last week due to stringent rules put in after the financial collapse?
14) What leader of the world’s most secretive country missed a major event Friday increasing speculation that he may have been deposed?
15) The Iowa Insurance Commission approved an increase of what percent for those Iowans with Wellmark policies?
I see that our illustrious governor, who did all he could to stop the ACA and the expansion of Medicaid in Iowa is all over the health thing these days. “Take a walk” he says. No doubt a much better idea than being able to see a doctor. Oh, please, we so need universal single payer health care. Iowa had a walking Wednesday for its ‘healthiest state initiative.’ Time to tell Branstad to take a walk. But I digress
1) it is Thanksgiving Day in Canada Monday
2) not hearing any cases pertaining to gay marriage, thus letting gay marriage go forward where it has been declared legal.
3) St. Louis
4) The old water tower
6) LED bulbs. Note the term is ‘perfecting’ not discovering. They invented the blue LED to add to the red and green to combine to make white light.
7) Mulala Yousafzai
9) The Indies. Most scholars take this to mean the Spice Islands or what we call Indonesia and Indochina.
10) the need for photo ID to vote.
11) health insurance
12) Joni Ernst. The contracts were won by her father.
13) Ben Bernanke.
14) Kim Jong Un