Today, Sept. 16th is Mexican Independence Day. However, tomorrow Sept. 17th is Constitution Day, the day the Constitution was signed at the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia in 1787. I am sure everyone in the US is a constitutional scholar of some stripe. Here is a simple starter quiz for you:
1) The group most likely to approve of the Articles of Confederation would be
a) former officers in the Continental army.
b) those who feared strong central government.
c) those who held U. S. government securities.
d) bankers, merchants, and financiers.
e) those who feared the dangers of unrestrained democracy.
2) In order to become a law, a bill in Congress must?:
a) receive a 2/3 majority of the votes in Congress.
b) receive a 3/4 majority of the votes in each house of Congress.
c) receive a 2/3 majority of votes in each house of Congress.
d) pass both houses of Congress in identical form.
e) pass as amended in the last house of Congress to consider it.
3) Which of the following amendments to the Constitution was NOT part of the Bill of Rights?:
a) freedom of speech, press, and religion.
b) trial by jury.
c) protection against illegal search.
d) the right to bear arms.
e) direct election of senators.
4) According to the Constitution, the president is chosen by?:
a) the House of Representatives.
b) the Senate.
c) popular vote of the people.
d) the electoral college.
e) both Houses of Congress.
5) Those who opposed ratification of the Constitution were called?:
6) Under the Constitution, the status of the western Indian tribes was?:
a) not clearly defined.
b) that of conquered nations.
c) that of independent nations.
d) the same as states.
7) The American Constitutional Convention of 1787 was dominated by?:
a) isolationists and speculators.
b) officers and enlisted men of the Continental Army.
c) men having large property holdings or commercial interests.
d) backwoods farmers and frontiersmen.
e) artisans and mechanics.
8) A major weakness of the Articles of Confederation was that they?:
a) did not include a mechanism for their own amendment.
b) made it too difficult for the government to raise money through taxes and duties.
c) denied the federal government the power to mediate disputes between states.
d) required the ratification of only a simple majority of states.
e) created a too-powerful chief executive.
9) What is the minimum number of years of citizenship required to serve as a justice on the U. S. Supreme Court?:
e) none of these choices are correct.
10) The due process clause in the U. S. Constitution requires that?:
a) all labor-management contracts must be reviewed by a commission of the federal government.
b) members of minority groups must be given preferential treatment in employment.
c) the selection of the president and vice president must follow an established set of steps.
d) a standard set of procedures must be followed before any action is taken to punish persons accused of breaking the law.
Pretty simple, right? By the way, I got the quiz from here:
Now let’s see if i can remember the answers – oh boy!
1) b) if you recall the Articles failed because of weakness.
2) d) the bills must be identical
3) e) direct election happened much later.
4) d) that anachronism, the electoral college
5) c) Anti-Federalists
6) a) not defined
7) c) same as today?
8) b) if the teabaggers hear of this they may want the Articles back
9) e) no minimum, no maximum
10) d) we all get treated the same in theory