‘Thank You’ campaign launches in recognition of Health Care Professionals Week, May 6-12
DES MOINES, IOWA — Progress Iowa and SEIU Local 199 today launched a campaign to thank Senator Tom Harkin and Congressmen Dave Loebsack, Bruce Braley, and Leonard Boswell for their continued support of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA), including the recent announcement of $7.5 million in federal grants for community health centers in Iowa.
Cathy Glasson, President of SEIU Local 199, said, “Community health centers fill an important need in Iowa,” “The funding for people in places like Ottumwa and Sioux City to access much-needed basic health services is critical to keeping Iowans healthy and keeping costs down. Those millions of dollars from the Affordable Care Act ensure that our health care professionals can continue to provide the care to keep our communities healthy.”
River Hills Community Health Center in Ottumwa, Siouxland Community Health Center in Sioux City, Community Health Care, Inc. in Davenport, Crescent Community Health Center in Dubuque, Community Health Centers of Southern Iowa, Inc. in Leon, and Primary Health Care, Inc. in Urbandale are the local community health centers that were awarded $7.5 million in funding this week.
Under the Affordable Care Act, Iowa families have received the following benefits:
● 42,015 Iowans on Medicare saved an average of $616 on prescription drugs, for a total savings of $25,876,475.
● 18,012 Iowans under the age of 26 gained coverage under the health care law.
● 388,676 people with Medicare in Iowa received free preventive services – such as mammograms and colonoscopies – or a free annual wellness visit with their doctor.
● 1,187,000 Iowans, including 433,000 women and 311,000 children, are free from worrying about lifetime limits on coverage.
● Insurance companies are required to spend 80% of premium dollars on health care instead of overhead.
To conclude the “Thank You Campaign” and Health Care Professionals Week, Progress Iowa will participate in an event hosted by SEIU Local 199 on Friday, May 11 in Iowa City.
For more information about the Affordable Care Act and to say thank you for health care reform, visit progressiowa.org.