Action alert from FreePress
Last week, YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki said that Donald Trump would be allowed to return to the video platform when “the risk of violence decreases.”1
The problem is, every time Trump is given an audience, the risk of violence rises exponentially.
For years Trump’s rhetoric has put all of us, but particularly Black and Brown people, Muslims and other communities, in danger. His speech launching his 2016 presidential campaign dehumanized immigrants and Mexicans, he attacked people of color throughout his presidency and from the start of the pandemic he repeatedly misnamed COVID-19 the “Chinese virus”.
When Trump opens his mouth, the risk of real-world violence goes up. Look no further than Jan. 6’s white-supremacist insurrection at the Capitol, which he incited.
After Trump spent years misusing and violating Twitter’s policies, the company permanently suspended his account in January. Facebook removed his account and turned the decision about whether to permanently ban Trump over to its oversight board. Only YouTube has said that it fully intends to restore the former president’s account.
Silicon Valley is tying itself in knots to try and find a way out of taking down content that spreads hate and disinformation and puts people in danger — because white supremacy and conspiracy theories have made for huge profit margins.
1. “YouTube CEO: Trump to Be Reinstated Once ‘Risk of Violence’ Passes,” Politico, March 4, 2021
|Connect With Us
Free Press and Free Press Action are nonpartisan organizations fighting for your rights to connect and communicate. Free Press and Free Press Action do not support or oppose any candidate for public office. Learn more at freepress.net.