Yours truly will speak on the role of unions in decreasing inequality at this forum: November 22nd, 9:00 AM – 1:30 PM at Augustana College: If you are in the Quad Cities Saturday, join us for this event:
“Symposium on the Impact of Wealth Disparity on America.” Moderated by Morning News Anchor Emily Scarlett (TV4) and featuring Pulitzer Prize winning investigative journalist David Cay Johnston, Keynote Speaker. Break-out sessions with Augustana College Dean Dr. Pareena Lawrence, Rev. Dwight Ford, Dr. Christopher Whitt, Mayor Bill Gluba, Dr. Keri Manning with other thought-leaders from the greater QCA community.
11:00 AM: Concurrent Break-out sessions
– Political and Governmental Elements of Wealth Disparity: Government has long been seen as playing an integral role in alleviating poverty. Political efforts have had different effects on government over time.
– Poverty on the Community Level: What is the “big picture” in the QCA
– Poverty Issues in K – 12 Education: How do our schools deal with poverty? What are they seeing?
– Long Term Inter-Generational Poverty: What is it’s grip on our society? What do we need to do to break that grip?
– The Economy: What is the impact of wealth disparity on business? On the Gross Domestic Product? On the overall direction of the economy?
– Poverty Consciousness: What is the psychology and sociology of wealth disparity? What is the relationship with the legal system?
12:30 – 1:30 PM: Roundtable/Closing Discussion
Who is David Cay Johnston?
He’s a prolific Pulitzer Prize winning investigative journalist and author writing for Newsweek, Al Jazeera America, The Nation, Common Dreams, Democracy Now, The National Memo and several tax journals. He wrote for the New York Times for over 13 years along with the Detroit Free Press, Philadelphia Inquirer, and the LA Times. He’s a regular contributor on many of MSNBC’s programs. Among his books are:
– Divided: The Perils of Our Growing Inequality (2014)
– The Fine Print: How Big Companies Use “Plain English” to Rob You Blind (2012)
– Free Lunch: How the Wealthiest Americans Enrich Themselves at Government Expense and Stick You With The Bill (2007)
– Perfectly Legal: The Covert Campaign to Rig Our Tax System to Benefit the Super-Rich–and Cheat Everybody Else (2003)
– Temples of Chance: How America Inc. Bought Out Murder Inc. to Win Control of the Casino Business (1992)